Thursday, March 6, 2014

Nutrition and Fueling

Recently, I've had some people ask me what I eat. Well, first off, I rarely resist the opportunity to gorge on junk food. So I try not to stock it or ever buy it for myself, because I know I'm gonna eat it if someone offers me some. The rest of my diet is dialed in, to the point I don't even think much of it anymore. The meals usually include any of the following:

Breakfast
Usually a Smoothie - Kale, Spinach, Carrot Juice or other various juice blend, Banana, Avocado, Blueberries, Strawberries, Cherries, Boysenberries, Raspberries, Peanut Butter, Almond Butter.

Sometimes Steel Cut or Quick Oats or Granola/Almond Milk

Lunch
Soups, Apples, Carrots, Peppers, Beans, Rice, Whole Grain Breads, Nuts or Nut Butters, Fruits/Dried Fruits, Cheese, Smoothies like above.

Dinner
Veggies, Fruits, Brown Rice, Tortillas, Rice, Beans, Potatoes, Eggs, Breads, Pastas.

General Guidelines
Organic when possible, but cost comes into play at times.
Supplements are Twin-lab Multivitamin, Reishi Mushroom Extract, Cod Liver Oil, and occasional magnesium supplement.
I attempt to limit meat, dairy, and white rice/pasta/bread consumption. Though, I'm not strictly against any of this.

Splurges
Sometimes you just need to eat an entire pizza. I do that on occasion, along with binges of ice cream and cookies.

Race Fuel
  • Water in my bottles. Nothing else has worked as well for me.
  • S!Caps for electrolytes. Nothing else has worked as well for me.
  • Granola Bars, Dried Fruits, ginger, potatoes and soups, candies and cookies
  • Trying out VFuel Gels when they start stocking them again. I'd like to be able to stomach gels if I need to. After at least reading their marketing pitch, I figure it's worth a shot.

2 comments:

  1. Why do you try to limit meat, dairy, white rice/pasta/bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. In short:
      White rice/pasta/bread - seems to be the large majority of stuff I have read from people that study nutrition advocate for whole grains, whenever possible. I also feel more full from whole grains.
      Dairy - Gut/Feel thing. I just tend to have a harder time digesting/processing dairy when compared to 'non dairy' substitutes (almond milk, coconut oil).
      Meat - More than anything, I just don't feel the need for it. I used to base meals around some sort of meat, to incorporate protein, and then realized I get enough protein through other sources. I still enjoy it, but I don't 'have to have it'.

      Delete